Sunday, April 12, 2009

Welcome to Sheography!

Welcome to Sheography! I created this blog with the single mother in mind. As a single mother, I do everything. I have to find the time to do everything! And at one point in time, I used to beat myself up when I couldn't get everything done in a day such as wake my kids up in the morning, feed them breakfast, take them to school, not yell at them or pull out my hair because I was always asked, "But why Mommy?" on the way to daycare/school (they're three years apart), go to work, pray that I do not receive a "Come get your son" phone call, although I never received too many of them, thank God. Let's see, oh yes, then I had to come home, prepare dinner or warm up leftovers, help with homework, ask about their day, say "Stop" a gazillion times, bathe them, then read or watch TV with them before kindly tucking them to bed. All of this before 7:30pm.

At that time, I literally thought I was going to
lose my hair. But thank God, I haven't. It is all there, and now my ten-year old has taken things back to my year of birth era by growing an Afro. Literally...

Ladies (and sometimes Gents), I want to say that life does not have to stop. I had to learn this the hard way. I was a functioning Mom, never going out to have fun, feeling frumpy at times because I had gained weight in places I didn't know existed, and found myself carrying a Tote bag versus my cute leather bags that I always shopped for in NYC. Yes, motherhood can be a shell shocker for some, however, it is double the work for those that are single. I have two children and in the next decade, they will be grown men, hopefully, prayerfully not still calling my name 50 million times a day, like they do now!

So I dedicate Sheography, my own creative name for the single mother who does it all. For the single mother who loses her faith one minute and restores it the next when she sees her toddler take his/her first step. For all the single mothers who does not know how they are going to feed their children one week, but somehow they miraculously find out about Sheography and see that I have listed resources for women to go to food pantries for free or low-cost perishables and produce.

Last but not least, I NEED to display, portray and put on blast, all of the single mothers who actually made it with little or no support. I have read about and heard countless success stories of single mothers who either stepped out on faith and went for their dream, be it starting a business or non-profit organization, working in the entertainment field, writing a book or starting a blog and/or website dedicated to single mothers just like this one.

Welcome to Sheography. There is more to come!


And a special thanks to the following sites:

No comments: